We are always looking, cooking and trying new things with all of our products in an effort to make each dining experience unique with traditional flare. The following recipes are some of out greatest hits at local food shows. If you have any recipes you would like to find or share, please contact us for information!
Creamy Potato & Wild Rice Soup
6 strips bacon
1 small onion, chopped
2 C. washed and fully cooked Red Lake Nation Wild Rice
3 C. Chicken Stock
2 cans (10.75 oz.) Cream of Potato soup
2 C. half & half
½ C. sliced fresh mushrooms
2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
Combine all ingredients (except cheese & half & half) in 3 quart saucepan or Dutch oven. Simmer about 20-30 minutes. Turn off heat and gently pour in half in half.
Note: RLNF made this recipe using Quick Cook Wild Rice & fat free half & half & cut the shredded cheese portion to 1 Cup with good results.
Submitted by Nicole Good, Grade 10, RLHS
Wild Rice Bread by Polly Rohde
- 1 ½ C. Buttermilk
- ¼ C. Oil
- ¼ C. Honey
- 2 tsp. Salt
- ½tsp. Baking Soda
- 3 ½ C. Bread Flour (White)
- ½ C. Red Lake Nation Wild Rice Flour
- ¼ C. Wheat Germ
- 1 ¼ tsp. Yeast
- 4 tsp. Wheat Gluten
- 1 C. Red Lake Nation Soup Bits (Cooked & cooled to room temperature)
- Place all ingredients, except wild rice, in bread machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Set machine to “Basic Setting” and a 2# loaf size OR choose dough cycle.
- Add cooked wild rice after dough ball has formed.
- If using dough cycle, take bread dough out when machine signals if is finished and place in a greased loaf pan.
- Let raise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 min. or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Take out of pan and cool on rack.
Wild Rice Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 C. Red Lake Nation Wild Rice, cooked
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 C. diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 C. diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 C, diced orange bell pepper
- 1/4 C, diced green onion
- 1 C. vegetable stock
- 1 C. bread cubes, dried
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage, chopped or 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3 bell peppers, halved & seeded
- 4 oz. light cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. light sour cream
- 1/4 C. Parmaesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Chop the onion & bell peppers.
- Melt butter in saute pan on stove & saute onions & peppers until tender crisp. Add stock, bring to boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat, add breadcubes & seasonings.Toss all together to make a stuffing.
- Add softened cream cheese, Parmaesan cheese. Mix well. Stuff pepper halves with this mixture, sprinkle with additional Parmaesan cheese for garnish & bake for 45 minutes or until browned on top & pepper is cooked through. Top with salt, pepper, and/or parsley for a pop of green color.
Small Batch Wild Blueberry Lime Jam
- 4 C. wild blueberries
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- zest of 2 limes (you could also use lemons)
- 1/4 C. lime juice
- pinch of salt
Rinse fruit and pat dry. In a medium saucepan combine berries, sugar, salt, lime juice & zest.
Cook over medium heat until it reaches a low boil. Stir constantly. Mash fruit up using an immersion blender or potato masher. (I used a masher as I like my jam chunky). Allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes. Ladle into sterilized 8 oz jars and cover. with clean lids & bands. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes. You can also keep this jam in the fridge without water bath processing, but be sure to consume within 14 days.
Makes 2- 8 oz jars or 1 pint.
A Taste of Red Lake Cook Book
Order your own beautiful 120 page copy, loaded with recipes, stories & color artwork compiled by students, friends & families of Red Lake High School. See our Recipes section for recipes from this book.